hasunoha

Do the effects of mantras fade over time?

I always chant mantras such as Komyo Shingon and Fudo Myoo for about 15 minutes before going to school, but do the effects of mantras fade over time?
Also, they often bite when reciting mantras, but do unfortunate things such as curses occur as a result?

3 Zen Responses

Good morning.
I don't know if sutras and mantras have an “effect,” but I think the merits of sutras accumulate just by reciting sutras. If you make a mistake, recite that song from the beginning. There is no such thing as a mistake.

Mantras are strange, and ignorance is excluded when recited.

“Mantras are strange; watching (kanju) excludes ignorance (mumyo).
Senri is included in one character, and I immediately testify that it is a law.”

This is an explanation of Odaishi (Kobo Daishi Kukai)'s work, “The Secret Key to the Heart Sutra.”

If I were to briefly translate it into modern language
Mantras (Buddha's words) are strange things.
If you imagine the Buddha or the Buddha's world in your heart, it will dispel your doubts, as if illuminating the darkness.
It contains many truths in just one letter, and it is possible to reach the state of a Buddha while remaining in this living body.

The effects of mantras do not fade over time, but I think your feelings when reciting mantras may still fade or change over time.

So, please sing it every once in a while.

Just because you bite or make a mistake doesn't mean misfortune will happen.

However, if it bites you a lot, don't panic and chant it slowly and carefully.
Also, please feel the Buddha's world through mantras, get rid of your doubts, and spend your days peacefully and better with a sense of gratitude.

I hope it's helpful.

Gassho (^ people ^)

Daikongo Rindaroni

This is Kawaguchi Hidetoshi. This is a humble answer to the question.

If you really seem concerned about negligence during work, I recommend that you chant “Daikongo Rindarani” at the end of your work.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/大金剛輪陀羅尼

However, if you don't get used to it, you may chew on this mantra itself...

Anyway, above all else, it is important to have a mindset to practice a thankful and precious law, a sincere attitude, and continuous work, and I think there is no problem even if there is a slight negligence.

Incidentally, in my case, I was taught the work of Tibetan Esoteric Buddhism every day, and in order to make up for my negligence during that time, I chant “Kongo Satsuma Hyakji Mantra” towards the end.

How to recite Kongosatsu
https://www.mmba.jp/archives/17325

Kawaguchi Hidetoshi Gassho