hasunoha

[Soto Sect] About Successions

Thank you, Morishiya, for your hard work.

Now, there is still no peace of mind or Dharma, but Fudo has gradually been given the magic lantern to the extent that he is able to walk while thinking about the path leading up to Zuiyo (succession of laws).

Therefore, before entering Yasui this time, I would like to ask the mentors about “the risk of succession as a head teacher.”
This is because, if possible, there are teachers who would like to ask for heir to the law no matter what, and they want them to inherit the law even if it's bad before going to the monastery, even after sending an amble.
However, as a background, it makes me think that “they must be formed,” “there is a large burden,” or “they must be taken care of as a successor to the chief priest and must be announced to the parishioners,” and that things will not go easily.

I don't feel like I want to become the deputy chief priest of that teacher's temple and adopt a child. However, I have come to the point where I think it would be great if I referred to that teacher as the head teacher.
Of course, if you get the heir to the law, when the next hojo (for example, a son-in-law of a blood relationship) comes, I intend to break it down to the bone and support the work.
I would like to ask my mentor if it is OK to ask for an heir to be granted with that kind of feeling.

I look forward to working with you. Gassho and nine prayers.

2 Zen Responses

After attending the university

 I read your question.

I'll give you my conclusion first. I think it's too early to ask for an inheritance law at this stage.

Master Sakakibara's answer, which has already been answered, is a slight deviation in the use of terms since he is from a different sect, but I think it is an extremely reasonable opinion. In the current Soto sect, “to become a disciple” in the narrow sense means to become a disciple of a master at the time of Tokudo, establishment, and transmission of the law.
I don't know what kind of person the hojo you are currently hoping to “ask for inheritance law” is, but to what extent do you know that hojo? Also, to what extent does the hojo know you?

As a matter of fact, in the case of a mentor and apprentice, who are parents and children, they understand each other and have built a relationship of trust while sleeping and eating together for many years, for good or bad. “Ask to become an apprentice, and then the master thinks about how to inherit the law.” I think Master Sakakibara's opinion is correct. At this stage, there is a huge misunderstanding that “once you have finished living in a monastery, I will ask for an inheritance law.” You may be thinking that you have ambitions and are seriously trying to practice Buddhism, but I don't think you've left the rudimentary level of learning or training yet. Even the hojo doesn't know what kind of ascetic practices people who haven't even gone to a monastery will do in the future, and what kind of monks they will become. Even though I don't know, “I want them to inherit the law after going to the monastery.” I don't think I can accept it even if I'm asked to.

Earlier, I said it in a narrow sense, but the relationship between master and disciple in a broader sense is the relationship between “academics and disciples.” It's about coming to the lord to ask for instructions and continuing to learn. Whether you drop out of high school or graduate from college, you can learn Buddhism and Zen if you have the will. “I don't understand anything, so I want you to tell me.” I don't think it would be foolish to say that and ask for instructions, but in order to participate, “learning and training to participate” is important. What you yourself learned and practiced and wanted to know more deeply, visit the hojo and ask for his teachings. In the midst of accumulating such participation, “I want you to become the head teacher.” That feeling will solidify. I think we should ask for an inheritance law after reaching that stage.

appending
I think it's also good to show your gratitude by ① continuing to repeat the Sanshi Honpo in the future, ② sending Kotobuki mochi to the participants, etc. You can also have various relationships while living peacefully in a monastery and getting a job. You should draw a conclusion when you get a job.

Hello.

It seems that they are studying a lot, so you probably know the story of when the Dharma was transmitted from Buddha to Kaba, and from Kōnin to Eno.
You are free to make requests, but the law of succession is not for you to decide, but for your teacher to decide.
Also, even if you don't inherit that person's law in particular, the root is the same Buddha. I think it's fine in the form of studying as a student attending school. I have also inherited the Dharma from my mentor, and I have participated in the law under various mentors.

If you really think of it in this direction, you probably need to be prepared like Keika.