hasunoha

About funerals

Nice to meet you.
My father passed away in June. It has been about a week since it was discovered due to a lonely death, and it was handed over about a month after a DNA test was performed by the police.
It ended in the form of a direct burial, and the ashes were buried in the city's joint storage.

This time, I didn't have a funeral for 49 days, and I want to do the memorial service for the memorial service and the 100 day memorial service. I don't know how to ask for a memorial service at a temple.
What will my father be like after 49 days?
While I was waiting for the DNA test results, I was only given a commandment name.
Also, how much does it cost if the chuzen law is required at a temple?
I would appreciate it if you could teach me.
Thank you for your support.

3 Zen Responses

Go back and ask for funeral services at the temple = bestowal ceremony, first memorial service = memorial service

First of all, I think the fact that my father passed away, and then the fact that I was discovered in a lonely death is a combination of sad feelings and such painful feelings. I offer my condolences.
Even if it is not possible to perform a memorial service in an official form in each Buddhist sect due to autopsies or complicated circumstances, I think it is better for the deceased to perform the memorial service in a proper form, even if it goes back in time, for the deceased, and above all, for yourself.
This is also my personal wish, and although a funeral is also called a reprimand, I don't think we should just formally give the deceased a commandment name. The act of properly holding a ceremony “together” with the bereaved family, making a pledge with everyone, and offering prayers together should be carried out. I think it is necessary to have a ceremony where people give the commandments in front of everyone and officially become Buddhist disciples, have a proper dialogue and enshrine in a form that everyone is properly satisfied with.
Funerals are absolutely necessary for the deceased and bereaved families to continue to act as a cleansing effect leading to salvation in this world even after death.
This is also not done formally, and bereaved families will continue their inner psychological approach in the future, so they should be properly enshrined. If you treat them carelessly, feelings of not thinking about parents will occur, and negative spirits will be transmitted to those around you.
One of the reasons why Japanese people are respected around the world for their great humanity is that “there are many people who have a religious spirit that respects Shinto and Buddhism.” Spirituality that respects not only parents, ancestors, and family, but also the existence of everything around them, and that excellent religious spirit are precious. If it's a parent's memorial service, it's natural for anyone to do it. The important thing is religious spirit. We should probably question the spirituality that our ancestors have called, praised, and respected since ancient times as Shinto and Buddha. If you don't have a heart to respect Shinto or Buddha, you will become your own style and liberal, so it's also a spirit of no religion. Coolly speaking, it's smart supremacy and materialism, but in reality, it's easy to fall into some kind of anti-Shinto and Buddhist ideology and egoism.
Therefore, funerals and memorial services are thought to be for the deceased, but now it is a spirit of spreading and continuing the religious spirit throughout the world. Religious people should choose it too.
If you think about it from scratch, there is a risk that a relative or parent dies and does not properly praise dignity and enshrines them, and that religious feelings will not develop within the bereaved family due to formality alone = the heart will deviate from the path of people.

I wish for happiness and attainment of Buddhism (enlightenment) in the next life (after reincarnation)

There are different ways of thinking about the 49th (middle shade) depending on the denomination, so I don't think it's necessary to be too particular about it.
Reference: “Chuin” Shinji Jodo Sect Dictionary
https://share.google/QVq6WByjrJEq9Zfld
In any case, it is wonderful to perform Buddhist good deeds (listening to teachings and practice) in hopes of the deceased's happiness and attainment (enlightenment) in the next life (after reincarnation).
Your father will be delighted to see the situation, and asking the Buddha to bless your father is also a relationship with the Buddha.
I think doing Buddhist rituals will be positive (merits will accumulate and enlightenment will be faster), but I don't think there is anything negative (such as curse) if you don't do them.
I think it would be nice if you could ask directly to the temple who is indebted to you.

I would like to express my sincere condolences on the passing of my father.
I read the situation, and the pain and confusion have been conveyed well.

First, let's talk about 49 days past, but in terms of Buddhism, “49 days (77 days)” is a day that is used as a guideline for those who have passed away to leave for the next life. However, this is just a guide, and just because it has passed does not mean that the deceased will get lost.
Above all else, a memorial service is when the bereaved family wholeheartedly delivers their thoughts of chasing good fortune. The “heart” is more important than the date.

When asking for the Chuzen memorial service, it's fine if you first tell the temple “I want to ask for my father's chuzen memorial service together with the 100 day memorial service.” The schedule and details can be decided in consultation with the chief priest.
It is said that they have already received the kaima, so it will be a form of praying for the souls of the deceased by reciting the sutras by reciting the kajime.

Your father will also be delighted by the fact that you can run the memorial service with all your heart even now. Please approach it with a positive feeling that “the memorial service can be held from now on” rather than thinking that “it has been delayed.”
Gassho