hasunoha

It's about Shinbon

My husband suddenly passed away in January, and it became Shinbon. Locally, July was Obon, but due to work reasons, I'm thinking about August. However, I don't know what to do. I can't afford it financially, so I'd like to be able to do a memorial service with my family alone, but I'd like you to tell me what is essential for the New Bon Festival. Thank you for your support.

3 Zen Responses

Please do it to the extent you can

I don't think there's anything missing that's good and what's not good. Things to prepare will come up as soon as you search for them on the internet. It's a good idea to try to the extent you can.

If you can't call a monk, make time to spend time with your family, prepare incense sticks together, and put your hands together.
Wouldn't that be fine?

Obon that makes your husband happy

As for Shinbon and First Bon, there are various differences depending on the region and denomination, so it cannot be said unequivocally.
The ways of offering offerings and festivals also differ depending on the region and denomination.

If it's just for the family, I don't think any special preparations are necessary, but since this is the first Obon festival, I think it's okay to offer something that your husband likes or something in season that you'd like to feed your husband, and just put their hands together.

However, speaking of the Buddhist meaning of Obon, I think the focus will be on things such as offering food and alms, so please make lots of offerings not only to the Buddha at your place, but if possible, to all the hotokesama in this world.

There is also a region where Obon is a homecoming day for Hoke.

There's no such thing as having to do this, but if there's anything you absolutely have to prepare, it would be a group of smiles between you and your two sons.

Please make Obon your husband happy.

It's something we won't forget

Nice to meet you, Haru.
This is Nakamura Taishaku from Tokushima Prefecture, the temple of Dharma and ceiling paintings.

It is said that her husband passed away in January. It made me feel lonely. I offer my condolences.

Well, this summer is Shinbon (also called Hatsubon: Hatsubon), isn't it?
There are various festival methods depending on the region. There are places that make spirit shelves (shōryodana), and there are also regions where spiritual offerings (ryoguzen) are offered on Buddhist altars. There are also regions where we think our ancestors will return.

I think the essential thing Haru cares about is “don't forget.” What did your husband, who passed away suddenly, cherish? What did you always say to your kids? What were you careful about?

Haru's role is to recall her husband's lifetime and inherit what he said and did. Also, please be sure to continue the memorial service not only for the New Bon Festival, but every year.