hasunoha

I want to listen to puja stories that are easy for children to understand during memorial services

I'm indebted to you.
It's been almost 1 year since my husband passed away.
I still can't sort out my feelings. The months and days are just passing by.
Every time, I read a lot of content here, and it's a day where I calm my mind.

This time, I will celebrate my first anniversary.
At that time, I would like the monk to talk about memorial services, stories about Buddhism, the world after death, etc. so that children can understand it. Is it okay to ask for it?
At the time of the first Bon Festival, I heard that someone's mother passed away and ended up in hell, probably from China, but when that mother kept wishing only for her son's happiness, a helping hand came and she was taken to the Pure Land of Paradise.
I was so moved by that story, and the children listened attentively.
In that way, I want to make it easier to understand the story of Buddhism, and listen to various kinds of Buddhism, such as what kind of training my husband is currently doing, what kind of place he is in, etc.

Also, I hope you can answer it here too, but why are memorial services held for the 1st anniversary, 3rd anniversary, and 7th anniversary?

Why aren't there kids every time? I've heard that.

What really happened after death is something you don't know until you go, and I don't know if there really is another world, but it's probably a legend from a long time ago, and it's probably some kind of true story.

Just like that, there isn't a day that I don't think about my husband's current situation while listening to various things and doing research.

I would like them to teach me a lot of things here while talking about their children and their husband

3 Zen Responses

You can ask the monk

I'm moved because it's such a “good question.” If the chief priest (or other monk) of your Tanami Temple is a good monk, I think they will be moved and shed tears when they hear your request. Please ask for it and talk about wanting me to hear this kind of story, and that I also want to ask questions like that.

There are also many teaching materials available that are easy for children to stick with and are familiar with. I don't know how old my kids are, but I use picture-story shows a lot regardless of age. Stories have the power to tell people. Stories, myths, and fairy tales are equivalent to Jataka in Buddhist texts. There are many masterpieces in Jataka that tell the essence of Buddhism in gentle stories.

Speaking of the internet, a person named Toko of the Honmon Buddha has posted many simple videos on YouTube. Quite a few of them are based on Jataka.

In my sect, the Jodo Shinshu Honganji school, the puja of Shogo Sakuraba and Masafumi Takeda are gentle and easy to understand.

I think it would be nice if you could watch these teaching materials on the internet, but after all, it's face-to-face, and it's not even close to directly touching and talking with monks or participating in temple activities. Please ask for various questions on the occasion of the first anniversary of his death, and if you have any questions about the puja, please contact them in advance saying “I want to hear this story.” We also recommend attending memorial services and events at temples.

I'm sure it's a story like this

Nice to meet you, Kamayu. I read your question.

The story Kamayu was told, “When a mother who fell into hell continued praying for her son's happiness, she was led to the Pure Land of Paradise” is a story of Mokuren (Mokuren), who was a disciple of the Buddha. Please request “I want to listen to Mr. Mozure's story” from the chief priest.

Also, there is a story about 13 Buddhas (Jusanbutsu) where people are led by 13 Buddhas after death. On the first anniversary of his death, he met Seishi Bosatsu (Seishi Bosatsu) and deepened his learning. Please ask the chief priest for details.

The first anniversary is followed by the third anniversary. However, it will be a number of years since the 3rd anniversary. For this reason, they will celebrate their third anniversary in 2 full years, counting from the day they died. After the 3rd anniversary, it will be the 7th anniversary in 6 years. There is no clear legend as to why it's not every year, but I think it's to avoid becoming attached to the deceased by freeing up time little by little.

It is important to make a memorial service in memory of the deceased, but you must not become obsessed and interfere with your daily life. I think the deceased probably wanted their bereaved families to live a full and positive life. Every year, they may hold memorial services at the family temple during Obon or the spring and fall equinoxes. Please ask and see.

I pray that you will be able to spend a rich time with Buddhist wisdom.

Please make a request.

Beforehand
“From children
I was asked this kind of thing
Because I can't answer well
Can you talk about the first anniversary?” with
If you make a request
I think they will be happy to receive it.