hasunoha

How to deal with perfectionism

I've only watched it for a long time, but I'm consulting for the first time.
I've been a new employee for about 2 months since I changed jobs. There are some things I'm still unfamiliar with, but I'm doing my best. However, there is a problem, and that is that my younger boss, who is my mentor, is a perfectionist.
I've been asked to start over again, and my boss says, “If you review it yourself and think it's a perfect, error-free finish, please ask me to check it, or go into the next process,” but it's hard to think that my work for about 2 months was perfect and error-free, and I was half-frightened yet relentlessly self-checked.
Since I still don't have the perfection my boss is looking for right now, the more instructions I get, the harder I get, and my anxiety only grows.
How can you relieve anxiety when you're in such a state? I'm sorry for the poor sentence.

5 Zen Responses

Give top priority to the parts you should never make mistakes

I don't know what kind of product you're in charge of, but first, break it down into parts where you should never make mistakes and parts that aren't, and perfect even just the high priority areas.
However, it is natural for a craftsman to seek perfection.
Wouldn't it be better to enjoy your work as a craftsman, looking for joy when it's perfect, not because your seniors will scold you?
Also, there is a possibility that you are uneasy about how far you need to go to pass in the first place, that you don't understand the pass line, or that you don't agree with the pass line.
In other words, there may be a lack of respect for that product.
A long time ago, a country made Mickey Mouse Modoki costumes.
It's a black mouse and is pretty cute, so maybe it's comparable as a character.
Even so, for example, the balance of look and style is clearly different from the real Mickey.
Like real entertainers and impersonators.
So, even though the customers are looking for the real thing, the customers are disappointed when an impersonation entertainer appears.
Professional craftsmen may also need respect and satisfaction with the product, aiming for a finish that is not embarrassing as a “real Mickey.”
Anxiety doesn't have to go away for the rest of your life.
At the same time as anxiety, let's have job satisfaction, joy, and respect for products.

A “perfectionist boss” is an image in my head

According to the Buddhist way of thinking, everything a person suffers is due to their own delusions.
“Perfectionist boss” is written in the question, but that boss has nothing to do with an actual person, and this is an image in Atta's head.
Humans overestimate the amount of work for subjects that are inexperienced or have little experience. Also, there is a tendency for it to expand steadily by ruminating on it within oneself.
Therefore, if the image of “perfection” in Atta's head and the image of a “perfectionist boss” are left alone, they will expand steadily, and at last, they will look like monsters that cannot compete with their own.
If you think about it calmly, there is no way that newcomers who have only been with the company for a few months will be able to produce the same level of accuracy as experienced people, and since the boss who is the mentor is also a professional, I know that.
If you say “almost fine,” or “well, this kind of thing is OK,” the rookie's skills will stop there. Until you have acquired the experience and skills to be called experts, it is a natural progression for people in leadership positions to put pressure on them to promote growth, and they are rather given opportunities.
In any workplace, it is said that “cautions and reprimands are better while they are being cautioned.” There are no cautions or reprimands when it is determined that you have acquired enough skills and are able to do it alone, or when you are abandoned “this is no good anymore.”
Instead of being swayed by the image of a scary boss, wouldn't it be a good idea to think that now is your chance to gain solid experience?

It's just a matter of time

I read it.
I see, you feel very uneasy about your boss's guidance even before joining the company. I understand very well that you think so. I understand your feelings from the bottom of my heart.
I don't know the specific details of the job, but it's definitely not a waste to give such detailed guidance. The end will surely come to an end. Your boss won't always be able to do that, and you'll learn too.
I think it's probably just a matter of time.
What's more, it's something that can't be perfect, and even if you think it's perfect, there's no such thing as perfection.
Please stay calm and face each job one by one without being too anxious.
I sincerely pray that you will continue to be calm, face your work, and live every day with peace of mind. And I will support you from the bottom of my heart. We wholeheartedly agree

They teach me the importance of confirmation and prudence. Improve your learning and take a positive view

When it comes to work, people who seek perfection can be trusted more than anything else, and they are definitely reliable. However, people around you are also looking for higher levels, so there may be places where it is cramped or inflexible.

You mean the checks are tough on you. It's been 2 months since I changed jobs, and I'm in an unfamiliar situation, and I'm sure there's a lot of anxiety about failure and mistakes.

However, in the long run, I think having a boss who has done a proper job will help you learn about the job faster, and that's how much they look at you. Let's just accept that it's good.

You may be taken aback by the instructions from your boss, but your boss's guidance teaches you the importance and prudence of confirmation. If you don't have confidence, ask for advice, and take a positive view as it will lead to your own growth.

I hope it goes well

Mr. Atta, I also accept your questions.

Even though it's been 2 months since I changed jobs, it's wonderful to see them doing their best even though they're unfamiliar with it.

Please do your best.
I wholeheartedly support you.

Maybe the mentor is younger?

My boss is a perfectionist.

I think the reason my boss is looking for a higher level from Atta is because he admits that he has the ability to make perfect finishes.

It's a last-minute battle in a job that requires a last-minute degree of perfection.

I feel that this exchange is a wonderful exchange unique to professionals.

However, the only things we handle are things,
I also feel that detailed communication (even outside of work) with my boss is necessary.

When it comes to work, I wonder if it's necessary to determine if my boss is a person who suddenly gets on track, etc.

Also, if you can communicate, you can express your current feelings,

So let's do it this way, there's no possibility that a compromise plan will be proposed.

I want to meet expectations, so I'm doing my best

I still don't understand how much precision is required, so I'm uneasy

Things I want to do my best, no matter how long

If there are any deficiencies, I would like you to say anything and give instructions.

By putting up sincerity, etc., the current environment may improve again.

Number one is the refinement of the product, and if that is something the two of you have in common,

As one of the means to perfect that product,

How do you process it,
Let's discuss it.

I feel like it's very necessary.

The post conveyed a great deal of honesty, and it was encouraging for me too.

Somehow, Atta's abilities are more properly delivered to her boss (I think they have arrived), communication is relieved from tension, and as a result, everything goes well,

I'm praying for you.
I wholeheartedly support you.