hasunoha

About working at cemeteries

While I was in the process of changing jobs, I saw a job offer at a pet cemetery, and I decided to take a tour. When I talked to my father, I was told that people who work in cemeteries or funeral homes have bad spirits or bad feelings, family misfortunes, and disabilities for their own children to be born in the future.
I was shocked that my father denied me what I wanted to do, but I was a little scared when I was told that.
I don't really trust spiritual things, but is that actually a possible story from the perspective of monks and people involved in purification?
Thank you for your answers.

4 Zen Responses

That can't be the case

That can't be the case.
That kind of thing is often said, but it's pure superstition.
No matter what field you are in, getting a specific job does not in itself cause unhappiness or hardship.
No need to worry.

There are many casual assumptions, so it's important to check the evidence

Thank you Tata-san for giving me this important consultation with Hasunoha. You felt connected to working at a pet cemetery at an important timing that will affect your future life, called job change activities.
You're shocked by your father denying you “what you want to do,” and you're worried about spiritual issues.

Now, I'd like to dig a little deeper into the point that “bad spirits and bad feelings lead to family misfortunes and child disabilities.” Not only our father, but we don't think deeply and check every single piece of information we see and hear on a daily basis (with the exception of things directly connected to work). There are things that have been said for a long time, based on things that have been said for a long time, parents have said it, people with authority have spoken, etc., and I have taken it surprisingly honestly. Therefore, I think this event can be an opportunity to deepen your own insight. Just like Chico-chan from NHK, dare to ask your dad lightly. (This is to prevent it from developing into a parent-child fight) “Why do family misfortunes and children have disabilities?” and. There probably won't be any clear evidence.

So why are words that have no clear basis being spoken for so long? That's because humans are animals that avoid “death.” So how has Buddhism taught us? I understand the feeling of wanting to avoid “death,” but in reality, it's impossible to avoid it. If so, let's live prepared for our own life, including that “death.” There is a world you can see by being prepared.

When the dog I had kept at the temple for 15 years died, I had it cremated at a local pet cemetery. They proceeded very carefully, just like human cremation. I felt that you are taking pride in this work. I was very thankful for that.

Having your own opinion, “Dad thinks like this, but I think it's 00.” This is one form of independence that is as important as deciding to get a job. There is an aspect of job hunting that is so harsh that I feel like “my personality is being denied.” Please don't be overjoyed by immediate evaluations and work with pride in what you have built up until now. Please continue to communicate carefully and in a friendly manner with your father so that he can continue to be on your cheering team.

You're not alone. All the hasunoha monks are also in your support team. Gassho

Please be someone who can face life properly without feeling repelled

The reason dads think that way is probably because they avoid “death.”
However, there are many people involved in “death.” We monks also see death. I'll take a look at your face too. They also call out and hold hands. We will also join hands in the death of pets and living creatures. And there's no such thing as bad things possessing it.

Every life has a life lived, and there will be people involved. Death is inevitable for everyone. The same goes for pets.
No matter what kind of life, way of life, or how you end up, the feelings and salvation you wish for will also arrive there. If you work at a cemetery, you'll think about that up close.

In this way, watching death, drawing thoughts, and mourning may be important relationships for thinking about “life.” Also, it is a job that is closely related to that relationship.

Working at a cemetery is a precious thing. Please be someone who can face life properly without feeling repelled.

Please don't worry

I read it.
I can tell you that you are very uneasy when your father says that. I understand your feelings from the bottom of my heart.

There is no such thing in ordinary cemeteries or pet cemeteries.

The Buddha and the gods always guide people and things that have passed away. The close people and ancestors who went there earlier will kindly welcome you.
Also, they kindly watch over the people who live.

Please don't worry. Shishin Gassho Nanmu Amida Buddha