hasunoha

Looking back at the words of those who have died

Recently, I learned about a creator who died of cancer when she was still around 30 years old.

SNS was updated until a few days before his death, and there are also posts that make you feel that the end is near.

When I read that post, I felt like there was no relief, and at the same time I thought about my own worries.

I also have various problems every day, such as work, future career, relationships, romance, parents, money, etc.

However, as I watched the end of that person, I realized that there are actually many options for the problems I have.

What to do with work, how to deal with people, and how will we live in the future. Even though I'm worried, I have a “tomorrow” to think about, choose, and start over.

On the other hand, that person didn't have the very option of “living tomorrow.”

“I still have a tomorrow today that I couldn't give this person anymore. I want to make sure I don't forget that.”

With that in mind, I bookmarked that person's last post. I think I'll look back at it about once a month from now on, or when I feel depressed.

However, I am also aware that those feelings are not the only ones within me.

“Compared to this person, isn't my problem stupid?”
“There are people who have been in a more difficult situation, so I have to cherish the life I have now more.”

There is certainly a part where I am trying to inspire myself by comparing myself to the misfortunes of those who have died in that way.

I'm a little stuck there.

If you keep the words and death of someone who has passed away in your heart as a commandment for yourself to face forward and look back over and over again, do you receive proof that that person lived in your own way?

Or are they using the misfortunes and deaths of others as material to encourage themselves?

Also, how do you think in Buddhism about relativizing one's own suffering by comparing it with others, saying “there are people who suffer more, so my own worries are not a big deal”?

I would like to hear your thoughts from a monk's point of view on how to deal with someone who has died without losing respect for that person and if I receive something from that person's death.

5 Zen Responses

People are active even when they die. That's why it's ❝ Matsuru ❞.

Both the Buddha and his ancestors lived a way of life without dying.
Take a look at the various denominations around the country.
Every denomination was founded by only one person.
What's more, he's quite young.
Or if it's music, check out Jimi Hendrix.
He died in his twenties and is still alive. The period of activity is several years.
It embodies and expresses a hot Seoul that no one can surpass yet. Moreover, even after death, that passionate Seoul has had an influence on people living in this day and age.
That's probably the case with the movie “Michael.” If you were like Michael Jackson, you would die.
Great people around the world who have already died are irrelevant to people who don't know anyone. However, for those who know and those who are concerned, they live forever.

It would be a good idea to respect and enshrine that person you respect.
I'm not asking you to make separate cards.
However, great people, admirable people, and important people are ranked.
Extremely good people can have placards, summits, and statues all over the country.
It would be good to know that the human world is like that.
And you should also aspire to live that way of life.
Live by searching for a better direction and an extremely reliable path without being overwhelmed by negative consciousness, complaints, or bad mentality in your heart.

One of my legal friends, Maeda, passed away in his 30s.
I worked as a complaint handling clerk at DOCOMO, and we meditated together under my teacher.
Demanding power was intense, the teacher's story was easily learned, and they became a monk.
If he were alive, he would have been a great boy, but he also died.
Nevertheless, he made his friend preach at the wake.
“Facts don't hurt people.”

Now, what are you saying?

This is what you say.
“Have you used the misfortunes and deaths of others as material to encourage yourself?”
“There are people who suffer more, so my worries aren't a big deal.”

You don't have to say that.
That would be disrespectful to the facts.

I'm not telling the truth.
The truth is that people don't look like this or that.
Death is death, a great dignity, and a grateful death.
Even Shakyamuni's death was nirvana, and it was a great death that overcame the fear of death.

Every dead person in this world guides us and watches over us.

Anguish, Four Infinite Hearts, and Nembutsu

The goal of Buddhism is to reduce affliction, which is the cause of worry and suffering, to eliminate worry and suffering, in other words, to get closer to enlightenment.
Also, in the Jodo sect, etc., doing nembutsu (chanting Namu Amida Buddha), which is a ticket for passing away (reincarnation) in the Pure Land of Paradise, which is an environment where it is easy to understand, is a top priority in life.
Therefore, it is important whether reading the writings of the deceased also leads to the above direction.
First, it is not good to activate or prolong the afflictions (causes of worry and suffering) such as greed, anger, laziness, pride, etc., so don't let that happen.
Next, cultivate the four immeasurables (Shimuryoshin) of mercy, mercy, joy, and trust.
And Namu Amida Buddha,
Namu Amidabu Namu Amidabu
Namu Amidabu Namu Amidabu
and humming Nembutsu,
“Amitabha Buddha welcomes me to the Pure Land of Paradise even when I am full of worries, and the light of Amitabha Buddha illuminates me”
Be aware of that.
You should base your daily life on those standards.
Also, if suffering is amplified by the past, future, or delusional distractions about oneself or others, it is also good to pause (interrupt) those delusional distractions as appropriate.
I hope reading the deceased's articles will lead to them.
Praying for the deceased's death paradise (souls) can also lead to nembutsu.
Namu Amidabu Namu Amidabu

It's a precious awareness of regulating oneself and trying to move forward

Thank you very much for your consultation. It touches on the last days of those who have passed away, and painfully conveys how they are sincerely facing their own way of life. The feeling of guilt that you might be using someone else's death as a source of encouragement for yourself is proof of your kindness and sincerity.

Originally, in Buddhism, it is commanded to measure happiness and misfortune by comparing oneself with others, and to compare the magnitude of suffering. This is because we are all unique and precious. However, the thought that “there were more difficult people, so I must cherish my current life” that you felt does not disparage others, but it is a precious awareness of regulating yourself and looking forward. So, there's no need to feel excessive guilt about that thought.

Those creators certainly may not have been left with the option of “tomorrow.” However, from the appearance that he was able to continue to send messages until just before he passed away, I feel the brilliance of life that worked so hard to survive the “today” he was given.

If you bookmark that person's words and look back at them, it's definitely not a “use.” It means that you are sincerely receiving proof that that person lived to the fullest as food for your own life.

There's no need to belittle your own worries as “stupid.” Worrying is proof that you are taking your life seriously. I think the greatest respect for those who have passed away is to engrave the weight of that person's life in your heart and live through the “today” day that was given to you in your own way and with care. Please walk through your irreplaceable days while embracing your own worries.

Worship
Engiji Temple Shakujo

Please live your life

I read it.
I don't think it's necessary to judge whether that person was unhappy or how that person's life was. That's because it's something that people themselves can feel.

I think it's very important to look at the fact that that person lived through that life with respect.
Each and every one of those words is probably very valuable, and they will make you learn as an irreplaceable living proof.
And please live through the life and time you have been given.

I sincerely pray that you will be able to survive in a rich and fulfilling future. We wholeheartedly agree

Life receives many blessings and is nurtured by various relationships

It is up to you to decide how you will receive it and how you will give it meaning.
What caught your eye was the young creator's words, wasn't it?

Each person has their own life, and there is probably an important way to live there. What kind of person was he, and how did he feel? What kind of feelings did they have? What are you hoping for?
How am I going to listen to it?
It seems like they're asking about a limited life, what's in front of you, and how to live in the future.

Accidents and disasters are widely reported, and those who have suffered damage are reported. How many people, dozens, hundreds... A, B, C. However, in reality, that person's life is beyond description, and there are people involved in it. If we look at the world, there may be lives disappearing even now at this moment. Every life is precious. There's no such thing as a life that can be belittled or taken, is there?

We tend to look at things we can imagine from our experiences and capture them by comparing them, but when we catch our eyes in this way, we can see our way of life by thinking deeply about things from all angles.

“Life” is something that receives many blessings and is nurtured through various relationships. Maybe it's a trick to lead from the Buddha. And the messages you have received will continue to support you.
Like the Buddha, I also want to develop a heart of compassion.

Gassho