hasunoha

Should I quit my job or keep going

This is my fourth year as a high school graduate and working adult.

I graduated from technical high school and got a job at my current company.

At first, it was the manufacturing department, but no matter how many times I was told, mistakes were repeated, breaking parts, causing trouble to the surroundings, and I wasn't able to work at all.

In my second year, I experienced a serving area where parts were prepared and products were shipped for 2 months, and I was able to be of some use there. However, I was returned to manufacturing because I was a full-time employee, and I was also unable to keep up with my work, and I was overtaken by my juniors one after another.

In March of my 3rd year, I was ordered to be transferred by the department manager, saying “it seems difficult no matter how you look at it,” and I have been working in the production management and sales department since the 4th year. I made an effort to be useful this time around, but even here I can't keep up with my work.

I don't understand what they're talking about at the meeting, and even if I try to understand one thing, new information and circumstances come out one after another. I look at the actual items and organize them in my notebook, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Manufacturing requires technology, concentration, and ability to read drawings, but I feel that production management and sales require completely different abilities, such as the ability to read ahead, ability to explain, experience, communication, and mental ability to respond to unexpected issues.

Furthermore, relationships outside of work are also emphasized. They were asked to participate in employee trips, drinking parties, golf, etc., and they said, “If it's business, you should participate for communication,” “you should drink beer for the first time,” and “even if you don't like it from now on, you should go to a bar or older sister's store to entertain them.”

I'm a person who wants to separate work and private life.

I use 2 days off for employee trips, and since it's a large room, I don't want to participate. On an employee trip last year, it seems that several male employees, including their seniors, were taken off their clothes for a prank at night. Also, at drinking parties, there are acts of harassment when alcohol progresses, and I myself have had several people enter my home after the 2nd party in the past. Therefore, I don't want to go to drinking parties, etc.

I was told about that today, and I don't have the confidence to continue working for this company in the future.

Recently, “I can't work. “I don't understand anything” has reopened, and I don't even have the energy to make an effort.

I don't have the courage to quit because of the trend where continuing to work is a virtue. However, I don't have the confidence to continue working like this.

I know my thoughts are sweet. I would like to receive advice on whether I should quit my current company, whether I should think about changing jobs, and how I should live my life in the future.

4 Zen Responses

You can also change jobs by evaluating rather than putting up with it. With such a way of working, you can relax your mind and be fulfilled

You've been able to work so hard. Since it was my fourth year, I was able to see the company's relationships and customs. Relationships may also be important, but acts that you think are uncomfortable or being coerced are anachronistic places, so it's harassment, isn't it?

As for abilities, there are the right people in the right places, so I don't think it's right for you here.
There is a job suitability diagnosis where you can find a suitable job. If you look it up on the internet, it's listed, so maybe it's time to think about changing jobs to an environment that suits you and can make use of it.

Even with Hasunoha, I get a lot of work problems. In other words, it's something everyone is worried about. I'm changing jobs based on evaluation rather than patience. With such a way of working, I feel relaxed and fulfilled in my mind.

Thank you for your question.
Thank you for your hard work even in this hot weather.
Since it's about sales, I think it's basically just a matter of putting the customer's interests first and acting. This is because the customer's profit leads to the company's profit. If you get lost, go back to basics and think about it.
Even so, salespeople are amazing, aren't they? I also used to work as a manufacturer in a factory. Occasionally, I would go to meetings and business trips with sales people, and they always helped me.
Even if there is a problem with the product, I brought up golf stories at a good timing so as not to spoil the customer's mood; when delivery was delayed, I checked the schedule for the customer to use the product and persuaded them that the delivery date was delayed but always in time by the day they were used; they made suggestions that it would benefit the customer; they laughed when listening to any kind of story at drinking parties, and I always thought that everyday conversation was interesting and amazing.
It used to be common for boys to be completely naked at year-end parties, etc., since college, so there's no resistance. In the old days, people often put beer in their shoes and drink it all at once. If your boss and customers laugh at that, it's cheap. Nonetheless, there is also a risk of acute alcohol addiction, so it is important to properly refuse whatever they say, even if they are scolded for not being able to drink any more. Life is a top priority, isn't it?
I'm still young, so I can change jobs to a job that suits me, and there's no guarantee that I can change jobs to a better company than now, so I think it's okay to keep going.
However, even if you can't work or don't understand anything, I think you can even meet customers and ask them about our products.

Why don't you start preparing to find a place where you can work in your own way with peace of mind

I saw your consultation. You blame yourself for being “sweet,” but that's definitely not the case. I have been able to calmly analyze the abnormalities in my current workplace and my own aptitudes, and I am rather firmly facing reality.

First of all, as a practical issue, harassment is rampant, and a corporate culture where people enter their homes, which are private spaces, without permission is clearly abnormal for a modern work environment. Not being comfortable with being forced to have such relationships is proof that you have a healthy sense and boundaries. There's absolutely no need to belittle yourself for not being able to adapt to that.

The same goes for job descriptions. The company changed the layout, but the “prediction” and “interpersonal skills” required in sales and production management are completely different things from the “skills to honestly perform work” that you were able to demonstrate in the serving area. This is not a superiority or inferiority of abilities; it is simply a “mismatch of aptitudes.”

Speaking from the standpoint of a monk just a little bit, the public value that “continuing to work for a long time is a virtue” sometimes becomes an assumption (obsession) that binds people. It is by no means a virtue to endure a state where even the energy to make an effort is taken away in an unsuitable environment.

Moving away from your current environment in order to protect your own heart and dignity is not an “escape,” but a “courageous move forward.” Why don't you make use of your own aptitude and start preparing to find a place where you can work in your own way with peace of mind?

When “changing jobs,” be sure to use the “Occupational Aptitude Test” or “SPI3” to determine the type of job/industry that suits you. These can be implemented or introduced at Hello Work (employment security office). We sincerely hope that you will find a job that suits you.

Worship
Engiji Temple Shakujo

I read it.
I can tell you so much that you are very worried. I don't know the details of the workplace, but it really conveys your concerns.

Please draw a little line between your work not going well and harassment within the company.

Talk to your manager or HR about things that aren't going well at your job. Your current position might not be right for you. Depending on the content of the job, I think there are suitable people in the right place.

Also, “if it's sales, you should participate for communication,” “you should drink beer for the first cup,” and “even if you don't like it in the future, you should go to a bar or older sister's store to entertain them” are conventional ways of thinking.
Currently, there is a possibility that such a way of doing business is harassing. If you make a firm inquiry to the compliance department about that point, the handling will change drastically depending on whether it is proper work or whether it is compulsory.

If such a thing were forced to do, I think it would be a violation of compliance. I think it's okay to have a labor consultation.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/general/seido/chihou/kaiketu/soudan.html
https://www.jtuc-rengo.or.jp/soudan/
https://www.check-roudou.mhlw.go.jp/lp/hotline/

Also, if there is no improvement at all, I think it is desirable to change jobs quickly.

I sincerely pray that you can work with peace of mind and that you can live every day to the fullest.
And I will support you from the bottom of my heart.