hasunoha

Relationship with younger brother

I'm having trouble with my younger brother who is in the middle of a rebellious period. My mother and I are strongly opposed to each other, and we often argue over trivial matters of everyday life. My younger brother
・Don't do what you can't do (if you fail, blame others)
・If you point out even a little behavior or attitude, they will be relentless and lock themselves in a room
There are too many such actions. Rather, I spend most of my day confined to my room or arguing with my parents.
By the way, they seem to understand that they can't beat their father, and they usually rebel when their father isn't at home.
I can't defend the theory that my younger brother wavers at all. It is natural for the family to work for themselves, and housework is commonplace, so they don't even help with the washing, and they run away even drying the laundry. I run away to the easier one or the one I enjoy, and I get angry when things that are not convenient are pointed out. I'm sick of it.
When I'm in a good mood, I'm just a spoiled youngest child, and when I'm busy, they throw up ideas such as free research, etc., and when I'm busy, they get angry a lot of things that make me angry too.
Furthermore, the exterior seems to be nice, and apparently evaluations and trust from school teachers are also high. Since they are studying with my past questions, they have good grades, and they are popular among boys as cute characters because they are fair skinned and petite, and it seems that they are about to run for the student council.
Why do people who lick people and have a rotten attitude at home get the same (or higher) evaluation and trust as me? I wonder what my daily efforts have been. It's infuriating and makes me think it's really not worth it. If I take this kind of attitude, my younger brother will probably struggle later, and I think it will be causal retaliation, but I don't want my younger brother to struggle later; I want to live my days peacefully now. And now I want to be convinced. There are a lot of parent-child fights during summer vacation, so I don't want to stay at home, and I've been running away to club activities or study rooms the whole time. Why do I have to run away because of my brother? On the other hand, I feel angry at my younger brother, but when I see friends who are on good terms with my siblings, I'm also angry at myself for not being kind to my younger brother. I know there's nothing you can do about the rebellious period. Is there a way of looking at my brother's rebellious period that at least changes my way of thinking, even if nothing happens? Sorry for the long post. I would be happy if you could answer.

4 Zen Responses

It might be quite difficult

I read it.
You can't agree with your brother's attitude, attitude, words, and actions at all, which is very annoying, isn't it? I don't know the details about you, your younger brother, or everyone in your family, but I can tell you that you are very angry. I understand your feelings from the bottom of my heart.
There are differences between people depending on how they are born and raised, age, and condition, but they all want to do what they want, and they want to live the way they want. However, if things don't go the way you want them to, you'll get angry and get angry. As you grow up, you learn that things don't turn out the way you want them to, and you also develop a sense of gratitude for knowing that you are living now, supported and nurtured by many people.
I don't know what my younger brother's state of mind is, but maybe he has a strong feeling that he can't accept it easily as he grows up.
However, there is no reason why you can selfishly say terrible things or commit violence against your family.
It may be quite difficult to predict how your little brother will grow. Therefore, to the extent possible, I think it is necessary to tell people about the good and bad things about living, and I would like to convey how to live with a feeling of gratitude to the people around them. Also, I want them to understand that selfishly saying terrible things is bad.
It's not something that's going to change right now, so let's ask them to understand it little by little.
Please keep a close eye on you and everyone in your family and tell your brother.
I sincerely pray that my younger brother can understand the good and bad of everything, have a sense of gratitude for others, and grow healthily while caring for everyone and each other, so that everyone can live a rich and happy life from the bottom of their heart. We wholeheartedly agree

“My brother is my brother, I am me”, please use time for your own future

At the mercy of my younger brother's selfish behavior, I appreciate that you spent your days feeling restless. The reason you feel angry at yourself for not being kind to your younger brother is because you are naturally compassionate. Please don't blame yourself.

From a Buddhist point of view, I'll tell you a way to lighten your mind a little.

First, Buddhism believes that “you cannot change others the way you want.” Your brother's unreasonable attitude comes from his own immaturity, and it's not an assignment you take on. As there is a saying “let go of the obsession,” let's take a little distance from trying to correct him. It is said that you cannot disobey your father, so it is also important to take realistic measures (convenient), such as having your father come in between if you get over the situation.

Also, it is a natural feeling to compare yourself to your younger brother and feel “not worth it.” However, each person produces different flowers. Don't be disturbed by his external goodness, and you should keep an eye on your own honesty and goodness.

Going to a study room or club activity is definitely not an “escape.” (I think it's unintentional and infuriating...) Even in Buddhism, choosing a quiet place to polish oneself away from a disturbing environment is considered a reasonable act. Right now, draw a line of mind with “my brother is my brother, I am me,” and use your time for your own future. Your steady daily efforts will surely be food to enrich your own life.

Worship
Engiji Temple Shakujo

In terms of psychology

 Hello. There are already answers about the Buddhist response, so dare I give a psychological explanation.
Did you know that around age 2, there is a period called the “bad season”? Until then, I honestly followed my parents and said, “I love my mom and dad!” That period of saying things like that, being delighted and happy, suddenly comes to an end.
No matter what you say, I don't like any suggestions, “Why don't you do it yourself?” I was told, and I tried it, but it didn't work and I don't like it. “Are you accumulating variations to say no?” It even makes me want to say that.
However, that period is coming to an end. Then, they reach an exit where “don't just follow your parents, the world will expand a little bit.” Relationships with parents will be richer (not always the same).

Well, this time it's “puberty.” The characteristic of this is that “attitudes towards family and attitudes towards others are completely different.” So, your observations are on point. “There are people outside of my family who recognize me” and “putting emphasis on it and what kind of attitude you have towards your family” are a pair. It's supposed to be linked to parent separation or family separation, but now “if you don't lean on your family, you can't put effort into raising evaluations from others.”
So, if you look at it from your family's point of view, one day, “If so, try living by yourself!” It should end like “wow... I understand.” You can't afford to be thrown out alone at that time. It's like “sharing a house with friends.”

So, now it's time to “get ready to stand alone. that's because parents die faster. I think a “way of capturing things going well” is good.

It means “wasting money”, so... you're investing in the wrong place. The siblings around you can think of it as “we haven't reached that phase yet, and we'll have a hard time later.”

If you properly follow the process of being alone like that... I think both you and your parents will eventually become “human” relationships.

Secure a safe space for you while expecting your younger brother's mental growth.

Your brother's rebellion is having an effect on you and your family, too, isn't it? My younger brother is now in a period of conflict trying to become mentally independent from his parents. It's probably a stage leading to healthy mental and physical growth. That said, until you “take this kind of attitude, you'll have a hard time later,” your younger brother can't understand it, and you're probably doing your best to rebel. I think it's transient.

It's your brother's problem, and you want to live a peaceful day yourself. I don't want to be swayed by my brother.

As a response at times like this, getting emotional and getting angry or in denial is counterproductive. Refrain from interference and keep a reasonable distance. My younger brother probably has a different attitude at home and outside, but maybe that's how he balances things. While watching now, you should treat your parents as usual. Then, you'll be embarrassed that only you are rebelling, and you'll realize that this is no good. And I think the day will come when your younger brother will calm down with your older brother (you)'s calmness.

Please secure a safe space for yourself while expecting your younger brother's mental growth.